A little bit along from Blackden Brook are these adjacent scrambles, both a bit more taxing. (c) The Wandering Wildflower. Kevin Clough - Los Angeles, California, United States - LinkedIn We headed for the sheepfold, where there is a stile leading to the footpath running adjacent to Cowms Moor and the former quarry or landslide which has made some peculiar looking spoil heaps there. Obviously, scrambling has a few potential risks, so the routes in this book are helpfully graded 1, 2 and 3. Chapter 22: 1 Rimmon Pit Clough/Trinnacle/Holme Clough - Scrambles in There is a gate which leads down the hill (quite steep and very muddy!) This was a bit of an unplanned walk as we had meant to head over to Teggs Nose and White Nancy. Los Angeles, California. Your email address will not be published. This blog may contain affiliate links through which, at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission. Please consider the safest option on your hike may be turning back and returning another day. This was a bit of an unplanned walk as we had meant to head over to Teggs Nose and White Nancy. Once across follow Birchen Clough uphill, there are a few scramble sections, including one challenging one next to the waterfall. There is a path if you prefer to detour the scramble with this walk. Or get in touch and I will help as best I can :). John C. Clough is a Commercial Litigation attorney in Los Angeles, CA. Fancy trying some walks in other parts of the Peak District? Or check out all our Peak District walking routes here. This is at no extra cost to you. This was a bit of an unplanned walk as we had meant to head over to Teggs Nose and White Nancy. There are rocks to climb over and in Autumn these can be wet and slippery from rain, so take care. Plus we love a scramble, and the Blackden Brook scramble was one we hadnt ticked off yet. We followed the path of the Roman road down through the fields.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_11',114,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-large-leaderboard-2-0');We reached Heyridge Farm, where the footpath carries on along the farm track to the north-east. View looking SE towards the Raven Stones. This was my first scramble in the Peak District and its still one of my favourite routes to Kinder Scout. Welcome to The Wandering Wildflower, an outdoors lifestyle blog focusing on family walks in the Peak District, a place we love exploring. All the walks on the website are created using OS Maps Online + you can download them to the OS Maps App. Start on the left hand side, shortly cross over to the right at t. We walked up Snake Road for half a mile until we reached a lay-by with National Trust Blackden View Farm signs. I love the hills but hate the heights, so trig bagging is er- fun! There are 5 Wilderness Gullies at the head of Chew Valley, and these north-facing slopes have a pretty serious feel. 7 Fun Peak District Scrambles + BEST Routes As well as running I quite like a rocky scramble, ie a route where you have to use your hands to progress. More information on the Peak District, including transport options, where to stay, best Peak District pubs + other useful resources. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (LogOut/ The path runs along Lady Clough through the woodlands, then opens out into a clearing with a woodpile and a skip. A faint path (bit of a scramble) leads up the LH side of Birchen Clough to Raven Stones Brow. My visit was made all the more memorable by coinciding with the England v Germany match which meant I had the hills to myself all rather magical. I was just glad to have it to ourselves. Grade 2 you might want to take a friend. If you do the route below, theres also another rocky section you can climb up, known as The Trinnacles but this isnt for the faint-hearted, there are steep drops on both sides. Oyster Clough Cabin and Blackden Brook Waterfalls Scramble Fun easy scramble up Birchen Clough to reach The Trinnacle on Saddleworth Moor near Oldham. Start: car park at Dove Stones Reservoir (alternatively Crowden, and approach via Laddow Rocks). Start: top of Snake Pass, or Glossop, or lay-by on B6105 near Reaps Farm. The path winds its way through the trees before reaching a stile where we headed up the hill over Alport Moor in the direction of Oyster Clough.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-medrectangle-4','ezslot_8',111,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-medrectangle-4-0');At the head of the clough is the Oyster Clough shooting cabin, touted on YouTube as a secret bothy in the Peak District although judging from the guest books in there its very well visited for somewhere so secret. I started by descending Rimmon Pit Clough and Holme Clough, which are decent enough scrambles in their own right. The path leads back to the River Ashop, where we crossed the bridge. Check prices here for theone month or yearly option with OS Online App. Check out the 7 YHAs in the Peak Districtand find the best walks direct from your accommodation. I recommend the Silva Expedition compass, its more expensive but a valuable piece of kit! Read more here. We followed the path of the Roman road down through the fields.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_11',114,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-large-leaderboard-2-0');We reached Heyridge Farm, where the footpath carries on along the farm track to the north-east. Walk: Birchen Clough car park, Snake road SK 10920 91431. 13 miles to a bridge over the River Ashop, which we crossed and then followed the path to Blackden Brook.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_14',116,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-large-mobile-banner-1-0');Blackden Brook is home to a series of waterfalls, with quite a large one being just down from the main path. The path leads back to the River Ashop, where we crossed the bridge. For this, Ive been grateful for Cicerones handy Scrambles in the Dark Peak book (from which the title of the blog is shamelessly taken): Still working my way through the book, but here are a few reports/tips from what Ive done so far. The path leads back to the River Ashop, where we crossed the bridge. If youre looking for a scramble route to start with the Grindsbrook Clough is a pretty good one to do. Pingback: Dovestone Reservoir And Saddleworth Moor: Hiking In The North Peak District - Away With Maja, Pingback: Laddow Rocks + Black Hill via Pennine Way From Crowden | 9-Mile Route - Peak District Walks, Pingback: Arnfield Moor, Chew Reservoir + Featherbed Moss Trig Walk From Crowden | 12-Mile Route - Peak District Walks, Pingback: 7 Fun Peak District Scrambles + BEST Routes - Peak District Walks, Pingback: Harry Hut + Lantern Pike Trig Walk From Hayfield | 10-Mile Route - Peak District Walks, Pingback: Ashway Rocks + The Trinnacles Walk From Greenfield | 4.5-Mile Route - Peak District Walks, Pingback: Featherbed Moss, Holme Moss (Black Hill) + Hey Edge Trig Walk From Crowden | 11-Mile Route - Peak District Walks, Pingback: Padley Gorge, Higger Tor + Stanage Edge Walk From Hathersage | 12-Mile Route - Peak District Walks, Pingback: 15 BEST Walks in the Peak District - Peak District Walks, Pingback: 16 Stunning Sunset Walks In The Peak District - Peak District Walks, OS Online App one month or yearly option. Ah fantastic, Simon, Ill be heading out to do some more so there might be a few more added over the next few weeks , Your email address will not be published. Oyster Clough Cabin Walk Map:Parking:Birchen Clough Bridge car park, Snake Road, near Glossop (nearest postcode S33 0AB)Facilities: None there is sometimes the Wildman Cafe in the car park but Ive never seen him!Walk Time: 5-6 hoursDifficulty:Distance: 8.5 miles (13.8km)Trig PointsBagged: NonePeak District PeaksBagged: NonePeak District EthelsBagged: NoneBlackden Brook Scramble Walk Map:If you want to try some other Peak District scrambles, why not try:Crowden Clough to Kinder Scout WalkTorside Clough ScrambleMiddle Black Clough Waterfall and Bleaklow StonesHigher Shelf Stones via Ashton Clough ScrambleKinder Downfall Walk via Nether Red Brook Scramble. Before climbing the stile into the old plantation however, we took a faint path along the riverbank which lead to Snake Woodlands. I tackled the most westerly of them and found it at the more challenging end of Grade 1. Youll also notice that only a small section of the each route include a scramble, so once youve done that the rest of the walk is on two feet! Time - 5 hours 20 minutes Grade - moderate. Need more help planning your Peak District trip? The best way to think of a scrambling route is that its going to involve some form of rocky terrain that youll need to navigate. At the top of the climb we had a snack break then followed the top path round Blackden Edge to the Seal Stones.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-leader-4','ezslot_18',120,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thewanderingwildflower_co_uk-leader-4-0');We then took a steep descent down the hill next to Gate Side Clough this is very steep! We quickly plotted this route on the OS map and then set off to walk it! Walk almost to the end, near some huge boulders and before the gate turn right onto the path winding down, then take any path on the right so youre walking alongside the stream (Chew Brook). I will leave its Grade 3 neighbour, Wilderness Gully East, to more serious scramblers! The walk continues along the edge, past Ashway Rocks, Great Dove Stone Rocks and all the way to Chew Reservoir. I did a nice run east along the plateau edge from here, visiting some crazy rock formations on Fairbrook Naze before descending down Fairbrook itself, another fast descent. The Peak District has several scramble routes, due to the rocky nature of the terrain many scrambles are in the Dark Peak area, which makes sense. Not so good as a descent, but theres a fast way down The Wicken just adjacent. At the top its easy to visit the three-pronged rock tower known as The Trinnacle apparently its possible to sit on top but I wasnt getting that close on my own! If you purchase through these, Peak District Walks earn from the qualifying links. There have been numerous serious incidents here where people have fallen. The path runs along Lady Clough through the woodlands, then opens out into a clearing with a woodpile and a skip. Beautiful walk, Wonderful view if you can climb. - Tripadvisor This is at no extra cost to you. The path runs along Lady Clough through the woodlands, then opens out into a clearing with a woodpile and a skip. The map for this walk is OL1 Peak District (Dark Peak Area), Check prices here for standard maps or waterproof mapsOrdnance Surveyor Amazon UK. This was a bit of an unplanned walk as we had meant to head over to Teggs Nose and White Nancy. Id been on a photography course in Snake Woodlands the day before though and they were so magical with the Autumn colours I knew we had to go back. Im a huge fan of scrambling when I go out hiking and always on the lookout for routes where I can include a scramble section too. Before climbing the stile into the old plantation however, we took a faint path along the riverbank which lead to Snake Woodlands. This was a real discovery. Numerous pools provide ample opportunities for a paddle or even a swim. Welcome to The Wandering Wildflower, an outdoors lifestyle blog focusing on family walks in the Peak District, a place we love exploring. For wildlife lovers keep an eye out for animals and birds on your walk, I saw plenty of grouse, but also a weasel and two young Short-eared owls and their mum (or dad) on this walk near the reservoir. We nipped over the bridge to get a photo of the Peak and Northern Footpaths green sign and then headed back over the bridge and over the stile into the woods. Plus we love a scramble, and the Blackden Brook scramble was one we hadnt ticked off yet. Birchen photos on Flickr | Flickr Sometimes a lack of planning can have a happy outcome. Includes areas such as Kinder Scout, the Wilderness Gullies and Bleaklow, and features both classic (Wilderness Gully East and Wildboar Clough) and lesser known routes. Its the in-between level of hiking and climbing, so generally you wont need ropes or any form or equipment (some Grade 3 scrambles you might); however all of these routes in the list are Grade 1, with one Grade 2 section.